Reading Notes: Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita, Promila, and Shakuntala, Sita's Story, Part A

Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita, Promila, and Shakuntala by Sunity Devee

- The King picked up the gharrah and to his utter astonishment he found it contained a beautiful little baby, a little girl ! The King was spell bound for a moment. Was this some delusion? Was it a dream? or was it really true ? The King was overwhelmed with happiness and said to himself ...

*This is adorable*

They all drew near the temple steps together. Prince Rama's dark eyes met the soft eyes of the tallest girl ; in that encounter two hearts beat quickly in one accord ; the sealed casket of love had been opened. Silently but assuredly, Sita gave all to Rama and he gave all to Sita. The unknown fair maiden filled Rama's heart and he whispered, "You are the queen of my heart" and Sita's silent thoughts to the stranger said, "Take all I have for you are the one I love."

*I love the more in-depth look at this relationship given here.*

In the evening the durbar was held in Janaka's spacious hall of audience, where the crystal floors reflected the forms of the guests as they were ceremoniously ushered to their seats.

*I like the ambience here.*

- She repeated unceasingly "I love him, help him to be mine". 

*What if he hadn't been able to break the bow? Hm.*

"How could I?" Rama answered lightly, "when thou art "Parashurama" and I, the simple "Rama".

*Still not really a fan of Rama.*

-Ramchandra talked of his childhood, his mother and other queens in all which Sita was much interested, for she had already began to feel that whatever belonged to her husband was dear to her.

*How sweet.*

- Dasaratha begged Rama not to listen to her, not to go, "she is a wicked woman" he said "don't go, don't leave me, the parting will kill me, I shall never see you again. Oh, my son, my son, what will the world say ? that I have been led by a woman, a wicked woman, that I have exiled my heir, that I have disgraced the Raghuvansa ."

*This is more sad here than it was in the other version.*

*Imagine if vows in real life worked the way they do in this story. It's such a wild idea.*

- When he understood the wicked motive of his mother, lie drew his sword from its case and wanted to kill her ... 

*Wow, that's stone cold.*

- ...one brother has taken the kingdom away from my lord and you are anxious to take his wife away from him. Now I know all and if you do not go and rescue my husband, I shall go myself. You can stay here in the empty hut, and do as you like. Lakshmana, little I knew that your words were of malice and your mind so full of poison;" and many other harsh and cruel words she spoke. This was the only time when Sita uttered any unkind words.

*It's crazy that she's only able to utter these words for Rama's behalf because she loves him so much.*

They punished her and beat her, but Sita was true to her husband, she knew no body but Rama.

*Beat her??*

I want no kingdom, no throne, I want you Sita, come back, for we shall live in this hut, in this Panchabati ban till the end of our days. " It was the first time Lakshmana had seen Ramchandra weep. There were no words to console him, so Lakshmana kept silent. Ramchandra's lamentations filled the forest. The clouds gathered making the forest dark and the birds ceased to sing, Sita's pet animals came near the hut and looked sad.

*Wow.*

- An enormous eagle had attacked the chariot.

*I am surprised that this version just glosses over that whole story.*

-Rama stayed her. Sita's eyes were resting on the dark handsome face so dear to her, but Rama would not look at her. 

*Yikes*

- He knew Sita would stand the test, but would she understand the reason ?

*Maybe Rama isn't as bad as I thought he was*

Sita looked at the dark sky and jungle and said in an alarmed voice, "Oh Lakshmana, why did you bring me ? Why did you bring me? Oh but it is not your doing, it is my misfortune. I am a woman of ill-luck born to suffer and extreme suffering has been mine."

*This is awful. Truly awful.*

- ... often Lakshmana observed a keen sadness in his eyes, often he saw the hot tears stream down his cheeks. Rama never visited the inner part of the palace, never entered the rooms where Sita had dwelt. 

*Seems like a lot of needless agony.*

"My husband, you tried my virtues by fire once before, and my lord, if you are not satisfied with that, I can give no other proof" Sita was pale, her voice trembled and her eyes filled with sad tears, then with clasped hands she looked upwards and said "I have not known a human mother's love. Mother Earth, take me in your arms and put an end to this long suffering child of yours in need a mother's love now. Oh mother Earth, be kind. ' '

*Oh wow, this is heartrending.*

The Hole that Sita Left By (Source: Needpix)

Bibliography: Nine Ideal Indian Women: Sita, Promila, and Shakuntala by Sunity Devee. Website: Internet Archive

Comments

Popular Posts