Reading Notes: Week 2 Anthology

 The Cunning Crane and the Crab by W.H.D Rouse (Jatakas: The Cunning Crane and the Crab)

- I really like the idea of an antagonist who hides a lie in the truth like the Crane does when he offers to carry them to the lake. I feel like it makes the story so much more interesting and sad. 

- I hope to be more descriptive in my stories than this one is. It seems to be lacking in vivid imagery that I can grasp onto because of its simplicity.

- I enjoyed the Crab outwitting the Crane aspect of this story as well. It read to me almost as if Red Riding Hood would have turned out to be more dangerous than the wolf in her story and I liked the concept of a weaker protagonist becoming more deadly than the antagonist. 

- The Crab's ruthlessness in the end was shocking and I liked the message it sent. 

- The ending line seems a little too simplistic for my tastes but that may also have been the point of a little story like this one because it fits so well with the rest of the plot. 

                                     The Cunning Crane and the Crab (Illustrator: W. Robinson)


Comments

Popular Posts