Week 2 Story: The Crane versus The Claw

 Author's Note: I took inspiration from the original story where the protagonist (the Crab) appears harmless but is able to overthrow the antagonist (The Crane) in the end and make him pay. I eliminated some of the sadness of the original from my story by erasing the Crane's ability to murder/hurt his victims. No victims die or are hurt in this story because I felt like it would be too cruel. I did, however, leave in the ruthlessness of the Crab in killing the Crane. I actually quite enjoyed rewriting the Crane's death in my story. I hope you enjoy!

The Crane versus the Claw

    Have you ever seen a predator stalk its prey? If you have, you would know that it resembles very closely the behavior that Tyler 'The Crane' Massey exhibits while watching a group of college-age girls take shots across a crowded bar like drunken fish ripe for feasting on. He leans against the bar and examines them quietly, sipping his whiskey and waiting. 

    When one of the girls separates from the group, he takes his chance and grabs the prepared drink at his elbow, discarding his whiskey promptly. He approaches her, "Hi, you look thirsty. Here's a drink, if you want it." His pearly white teeth gleam at her in the dimly lit bar. She narrows her eyes and places her hands on her hips. "Ah, you don't trust me," he says, "Come with me. I'll get you a new drink then." She shrugs and follows him to the bar, wobbling slightly on her heels. "What would you like," The Crane asks. She leans onto the bar and says to the bartender, "Cranberry vodka, please." The bartender mixes it swiftly and hands it to her, smirking. 

    While she's reaching out for it, her eyes glued on The Crane, she misses the swift-dissolving pill that the bartender slips into her drink. Unbeknownst to her, The Crane never works alone. "Thank you," she grins as she places her lips on the rim of the glass and sips slowly. 

    "You're very welcome." He leans in closer and whispers in her ear, "Would you like to get out of here with me?" Her eyes are already glazing over as she bobs her head. "Come on." He gently takes her elbow and begins to lead her along through the bar. She stumbles and nearly falls but his grip tightens and he yanks her up. They've almost made it to the door, the girl dragging behind The Crane, when someone steps in his way. 

    "Hi!," a girl smiles brightly, balancing a tray of drinks on her palm. "You look thirsty! Would you like a drink?" The Crane tries to wave her away, using one shoulder to shove her and the other to hide his sick looking prey. 

    "Sir, I won't take no for an answer. You look really thirsty and these drinks are on the house," she shoves the tray in his face and beams. 

    "Fine!," he exclaims and releases his intended victim to grab a shot. He downs it as the waitress's white teeth shine up at him through the darkness. 

                                               ************************************************************

    The Crane wakes up shivering and chained to a bed. "H-hello?," He calls out in the dark room. 

    "Hello," the glint of her teeth cuts through the darkness into his pupils as she speaks. She steps into the dim moonlit square of floor beside the window and The Crane realizes that it wasn't her teeth that were shining at him as she opens and closes a pair of gardening shears. Realizing the danger he's found himself in, he begins to thrash and kick.

    "You wouldn't dare! I'll kill you!," he screams, baring his teeth in a straight-razor white line. 

    "You would, though? Is that what you did to all those other girls too?," she saunters towards him, continuing to open and close the shears. He shakes his head, "N-no, I haven't, I didn't. I'm not a killer. Just let me go and you'll never see me again." 

    "Not a killer, huh? No, never a killer. That's better than what you truly are. You are right about one thing though: I will never see you again." In one swift movement, the shears open and close on his neck. 

    And so ended the hunt of Tyler 'The Crane' Massey, killed by his own predatory nature. The waitress's hunt was not over, however, as she still had the bartender to contend with along with the countless others who become unfortunate enough to wind up caught in her claw. 


The Cunning Crane and Crab (Illustrator: W. Robinson)

Bibliography: "The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India" by W.H.D. Rouse. Website: Jatakas, Panchatantra, and Other Fables from India

Comments

  1. Hello Riley, you picked a great story to reference for your revision of it. I also chose the same story and created a version of my own. I really enjoy how you were able to show the same theme as the original, but leave the negativity and cruelty out of it. I respect your decision to do so. You have a great taste in writing, and made me(the reader) visualize your story. I enjoyed thsi reading a lot and would like to see an escalated plot line with more dialouge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Riley,
    WOW. Your story is very intense and I believe well written. It stood out to me that the guy who was trying to pull this prank, got the prank done to him and now he realizes when he wakes up that maybe this is how the girls feel. I enjoyed reading your story and you did a great job. The crane deserves all the wrong in this world and deserves everything wrong that happens to him. I wonder what would happen if this girl was with her friends and didn't just leave them? And didn't agree to him getting her a drink? Why would her friends not try to stop the crane and get her friend? I wonder what would happen in these situations. What if the guy never got this done to him? I feel like he would be out there doing this all the time. The crane is just a bad bad guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Riley! I think it was cool that you put the author's note first rather than after the story. I felt that it prepared me with what was to come rather than having to figure it out at the end after reading your story. But your story was so imaginative and really took the original Crab and Crane story to another place! I really appreciate being able to see the story from such a unique perspective. Such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah Riley, I was not expecting that twist at the end! I think it is really creative that you made the fantastical story of the Crane and Crab into something grounded in realty. I think the setting and the events that take place create a very relevant theme in todays society. The twist at the end was so unexpected that I think it added some very nice shock value for me. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts