Week 2 Reading Overview

 I have chosen to read R.K. Narayan's Ramayana because I would like to have a physical copy of the book and I think that I would appreciate a more modernized novel with a connected story line. 

Krishna and Shishupala: He Was Forgiven a Hundred Times

I took an interest in this comic because I enjoy stories with prophecies. I also like the element of vaguely knowing how the story is going to end in the very beginning but being unsure of how it's going to play out exactly. It sounds counter-intuitive, but those types of story lines always peak my interest because of the suspense. 

Krishna and Rukmini: A Love That Will Not Be Denied

First of all, I love a good love story. Second, I love a good drama surrounding a love story which is exactly what this comic sounds like. In fact, I would rather read a story about the strife leading up to a good relationship than about the actual relationship itself so this seems right up my alley.

The Mahabharata ("Abracadabra" by the Steve Miller Band)

In this video, I really enjoyed the combination of semi-modern media with ancient texts. I think it's a fun way to spice up something that may not be interesting to everyone anymore. 

Jaya - An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata by Devdutt Pattanaik

As much as I love reading, I would often times consider myself a visual learner so I am partial to the visual element of this video. I also like the personal interpretation of each scene and the creativity that lies therein. 


I chose this photo shown below because I really liked the aesthetic, as lame as that sounds. I like the technique the artist used where it appears soft and mystical with an absence of sharp lines. I also find the pastel purples and blues to be pleasing. 

                                                                Hayagriva and Brahma

                                                       (Wikimedia: illustrated Mahabharata )

Comments

Popular Posts