Week 12 Lab: Learn about Microfiction

Learn about Micro-fiction

            I have never written any micro-fiction before because, for some reason, it always seems so hard to me. I do, however, really enjoy reading micro-fiction when it is written skillfully and I think it's an impressive way of writing. The most intriguing stories to me were either the tiny love stories or the two sentence horror stories. My favorite tiny love story was "Just Me and My Sea Monkeys": 

"I was in love and in lockdown in a small flat in Leith, Scotland. I had a lot of feelings and nowhere to put them. So I bought sea monkeys. I poured in the powder and checked the water temperature. For weeks, nothing. My last-ditch effort at finding something small (and within the rental agreement) to nurture was pointless. But then, so small you could barely make them out, a glimmer of hope and companionship in two tiny wriggling specks." (Claire Aubin)

            There's just something so musical to it that I really enjoy. Not only is it skillfully written, but I was also really invested in the minute details of her life and the miniscule scene that she's describing. My favorite two-sentence horror story was posted by Crazybitchitis and it goes like this: 

"Her hand grew cold in mine as the sun began to set.

I threw it into the fiery pit along with the rest of her, the last piece I needed to burn." (Crazybitchitis)

                It's just so unexpected and I love it! I wish I could write short stories like these, but I'm always too longwinded, too wordy. Maybe I could give micro-fiction a shot soon though as extra credit because I really, really enjoyed reading through and listening to these. 

The OG Micro-fiction-er (Source: Pixabay)

Bibliography: "Just Me and My Sea Monkeys" by Claire Aubin. Website: New York Times.

"Her Hand Grew Cold in Mine..." by Crazybitchitis. Website: Reddit.

Comments

Popular Posts