Reading Notes: Sita Sings the Blues, Part A

 Sita Sings the Blues by Nina Paley

- Kaikeyi is cracking me up, ha ha. "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out" -Kaikeyi

- Everything sounds so funny in this video. Everything they say seems like a joke.

- I loved the little old music interlude. It was quirky.

- Why does Rama look like that though at like fourteen minutes in? Ha ha.

- The little shadow characters who discuss with each other throughout remind me of The Emperor's New Groove, for some reason. 

- He plays veena with his WHAT? That was some gross imagery.

- I love the way they pronounce the names! It's correct, unlike the way I pronounce them in my head. 

- The way she describes everything good about Sita as in comparison to lotuses. Ha ha. I noticed that a lot in the original story too. Everything good is compared to a lotus. 

- Why are the scenes where she sings the blues kind of creepy? Is it the music? 20:47

- Why does Rama look like that?? 21:00

- Wow, Ravana looks strange too! 21:40

- The way Rama cries at 23:00. It weirded me out, ha ha. 

- I never considered that the women are amazed by Sita's devotion to Rama. 26:00

- The shock on Ravana's face at Sita's declarations of love for Rama, ha ha! 26:30

- I agree with the narrator that Sita should have gone with Hanuman to begin with! It makes no sense to wait on Rama. 30:00

- "She's a bloodthirsty woman." Ha ha, what a weird image.

- Wow, why does Sita always sing while Rama is kicking butt? It's kind of scary. 35:00

- I much prefer these drawings! 38:00

- Rama is still a jerk! 39:00

- I agree with the guy who talks about being surprised that Ravana doesn't force himself on Sita. I was shocked too. 40:00

Nina Paley (Source: Wikimedia Commons)

 Bibliography: Sita Sings the Blue by Nina Paley. Website: Indian Epics: Readings and Resources.


Comments

Popular Posts