Reading Notes: Mahabharata, Part B

 Mahabharata by various authors

Bhima and Hidimba

- Now a rakshasa woman has power to transform herself, and this one at once assumed the shape of a beautiful woman; her face became as fair as the full moon; on her head was a garland of flowers, her hair hung in ringlets; delicate was the hue of her skin, and she wore rich ornaments of gold with many gems.

*Interesting imagery and transformation.*

- Karna smiled bitterly, his face aflame. He cast down the bow and walked away, gazing towards the sun. He said, "O Sun! Be my witness that I cast aside the bow, not because I am unable to hit the mark, but because Draupadi scorns me."

*How sad! I like the idea of portraying a man scorned for his position in life and constantly downtrodden for things beyond his control.*

When we saw him, we thought we would make him break his vows. And we smiled at him and embraced him and tried in a hundred ways to make his thoughts turn from the gods to us ... Praying to the gods he called down on us a terrible curse. And the curse was that we should become alligators and remain so for a hundred years.

*I wonder how I could rewrite this story.*

Yudhishthira said, "So be it. I will stake Draupadi." Shakuni threw the dice, and Yudhishthira lost this the last throw. In this manner was Draupadi won by Duryodhana.

*Dealing with the devil and losing would be a interesting storyline.*

The Pandavas (Source: Wikipedia)

Bibliography: Mahabharata by various authors. Website: Indian Epics: Images and PDE Epics.

Comments

Popular Posts